Saturday, January 10, 2009

Top Ten Reasons I Have To Buy Books

With economy in shambles, I've been reflecting on my own spending habits. I tend to buy books like most women tend to buy shoes. It's rare that I enter a bookstore without buying something or at least writing down ISBN numbers to compare with prices of those same titles online or used. For a long time, I bought nonfiction and indulged in fiction from the public library.

Then I remembered that I don't read much of anything in three weeks or less, thus incurring library fines.

Lately, I've been purchasing hordes of fiction and devouring it at a steady pace. After some introspection I've decided that I have ten reasons for my book buying compulsion.

  • Breaking the spine of a new paperback is akin to putting a knife into a brand new container of butter. I like messing with pretty design. Unlike almost anything I pick up off the shelf to purchase, there's nothing to throw away (packaging), but I get to make my mark on the product.
  • I write just as much as I read. Supporting my fellow writers is a little like how I imagine the high of sniffing glue to be. I'm stuck on it by accident.
  • I'm getting a kick out of contacting published writers to tell them I'm reviewing their books for free. They pretty much all respond, which gives me warm fuzzies.
  • I like to imagine where Bluekissed and Redkissed would place my imaged books on the shelves of Barnes and Noble. Will my books be at eye level?
  • I keep forgetting how heavy books are when I have to move. Each time I move, I swear that I will stop buying books in such a frenzied manner (and I usually start giving them away). Then, I forget the pain of lugging them up several flights of stairs.
  • I've stopped having migraines for the most part. When I was having them, reading wasn't nearly as fun since it was next to impossible.
  • I have a new reading chair in my office :)
  • Signed author copies tickle me pink
  • I like the look of words on a page. I keep reminding myself that it wasn't all that long ago that the average person couldn't read. Hip Hip Hooray for the printing press!
  • Reading keeps me from playing an obscene amount of computer solitaire. As it is, I play only enough to make my eyes burn with pictures of cards when I close my eyelids.

No comments: