Thursday, February 5, 2009

Kidneys

Due to a family member having some medical problems, my mother told me that according to a doctor, the kidneys need to function at a minimum of 15% capacity for a person to live. Anything below that and dialysis is needed.

I wouldn't have thought the percentage would have been that low. After hearing this, I went online and also read on a random website that for certain conditions that it is possible to be on dialysis but to get better and get off of dialysis. It makes sense, but everyone I had ever known who had been on dialysis (that I knew about) was on it for the rest of his/her life. It's good to know that a person can recover from certain conditions to acceptable kidney function. I didn't do gobs of research on it, but I want to believe that this is true :)

No comments: