Saturday, December 13, 2008

Migration of Birds

Yesterday, while I was driving from Iowa to Tennessee, I saw the most amazing thing. In the sky were thousands of birds migrating. They looked almost like locusts in a swarm. The specks moved and turned in unison this way and that. As soon as one giant cloud of black passed, another one would, then another, then another. For miles I saw nothing in the sky but birds. They were too far away for me to tell what kind of birds they were, but I had never seen anything like it.

On an intellectual level I knew that birds flew south for the winter, but other than Canada Geese, I had never seen birds migrate like that. The whole thing made me wonder how they all communicate with one another to know how to fly in such giant formations. Unlike the V I'm accustomed to seeing, they were in a huge cloud shape.

No comments: